After nine months, you get to finally hold your sweet little angel in your arms. The nurse looks at you and asks for the baby's name. You probably already started looking for that name that you will love and cherish for the rest of your life many months before the child was born. There are a lot of ways on how parents get to choose the name of their child.
- Combining the names of the parent - Some would combine the first one or two syllables of the father and the mother to come up with a unique and meaningful name. Try combining the syllables or interchanging them (mother first, father second), and see if it is as sweet-sounding as your little girl.
- Using a grandmother's name or a relative - For some traditional families, blood lines are considered and they adopt the name of the grandmother or a close relative and give it to their daughter as well.
- Online search - There are websites dedicated to baby care, and articles range from baby care, to mother care, to raising a baby, and baby names. They also monitor trending of names per year or per location.
- Significant day - For some, they name their daughters Mary, April, Liberty, based on an important day in their life - such as when the wedding of the couple was or the exact birth date of the child falls on Mother Mary's special religious day. Other examples include a significant event during the month of April or the child was born or the couple got engaged on the 4th of July.
Many people will choose a name as long as it sounds cute and that is a good enough reason for most people. The length of the name should be considered as well. Longer names are sometimes harder to remember and more effort to pronounce over and over again through the years.
Certain people will feel the need to pick a unique name for their child. Movies, books, and other literature can be a good source for rare names. Sometimes people will combine names to come up with their own unique name for the child. However, for people that come up with their own names, it might be a good idea to ask a few other people what they think first.
Finally, a lot of people just go with popular names that they like. For the top 5 names for baby girls, here they are and what the names mean.
- Madison - Good son; or as it is being used now in modern times, good daughter.
- Abigail - Father's joy
- Hannah - Gracious
- Samantha - Listener
- Sophia - Wisdom
What is important is that even if the name has of no any significant relationship in your life, the bearer of the name receives all the love and attention from their loving parents. The most popular and trendy girl's names will definitely change in time. Some former popular names will re-surface as well. The most important thing is to pick a name that you and your significant other will be happy with and one that the child can live with as well.
There are currently no comments on this post. Be the first one!