The organizers of the Glass Roots Art Festival assure us that the show will go on! Rain or shine. Stop by Court D, between South 11th and 13th Streets, for a day of music, art, and a candidates debate. (4:30 pm) Speaking of candidates, this Tuesday is election day. Find your polling place here. (They've changed this year) Read the official voters pamphlet here.
Do you have unwanted formula samples or a stockpile of diapers in sizes you're not using? Put them aside now for "Pierce County's Biggest Baby Shower," on September 9th. Here's their announcement:
"Don't bring the bibs or bottles - formula, diapers and cash is what this is about!
Pierce County's Biggest Baby Shower will benefit 74 food banks, shelters and hot meal sites in Pierce County.
The shower will feature UN-traditional shower games, donated cakes and cookies, warehouse tours, and more!
100% of the proceeds will benefit Pierce County's babies in need.
DID YOU KNOW?
Each year there are 46,000 visits to Pierce County food banks for babies between the ages of 0-2.
• Baby formula consistently ranks in the top ten shoplifted items in America.
• Baby formula and diapers are rarely donated in food drives.
• Baby formula costs approximately $190 per month.
- The average monthly benefit per person on food stamps is $86.04.
- The average WIC spending per child in Washington State is $45 per month.
100% of the proceeds of Pierce County’s Biggest Baby Shower will provide formula and diapers to Pierce County Emergency Food Sites.
For more information contact The Emergency Food Network at 253-584-1040 or firstname.lastname@example.org."
Families coming to the emergency food sites for formula are already feeding their infants this way. Help them provide the best available nutrition to their infants, and learn more about volunteer opportunities with the Emergency Food Network.
Events this Week:
- Glass Roots Festival - Today! In a relatively well-covered spot downtown.
- Election Day is this Tuesday
- This Friday is the "Summer Playground Challenge" - an end of the Summer field day competition between all the Summer Playground Program sites. Bring your 6-14 year old to their local playground program site by 11 am, and they'll be bussed to Titlow Park for the competition. Children will bus back between 5 and 6. Free! Lunch and snack provided.
- This weekend is "Sand in The City" in Olympia - a sandcastle competition to benefit the Hands on Children's Museum.
- This Saturday is the "Tacoma Really Really Free Market," sort of an anti-market, bring your own stuff to give away and get some free stuff in return. You can bring objects, or just your skills, talent, and sparkling self. 2-6 pm at People's Park, S 11th and MLK.
- More free concerts and park programs! Check the calendar for details.
Our Weather Rocks! Don't Believe me? Take a look at the rest of the country. Get out and enjoy our fabulous climate! You won't melt.