So, you need a thoughtful gift at the last minute? While getting some printing done at the wonderful Minuteman Press this week, I happened upon a hidden gem tucked away on A Street (one block past Pacific, headed toward the water.): Watermark.
Watermark is a beautiful gift shop, with more than just your run of the mill "that's nice, but what would I do with that?" knickknacks. They sell gorgeous paper products and high-end notebooks, handbags, chocolate-mousse lip balm, and other great stucking stuffer type items. They will be closed tomorrow but open on Christmas Eve from 11 to 3.
Watermark is a locally-owned independently-run shop. Some other great places to grab a last-minute gift downtown:
Walkable from Watermark
- Learning Sprout - huge toy store on Pacific
- The Ever After Store - toys, princess paraphernalia, and other great gifts for girls of all ages
In the UWT area:
- The Museum Gift Shops - Tacoma Art Museum, Museum of Glass, and Washington State History Museum all have great, unique gift shops. Plus, the money goes to a good cause.
- Tacoma Art Supply
- Glenna's Clothing - gorgeous vintage fashion
- UrbanXchange - gorgeous hipster fashion
- BKB Company - arty handbags, scarves, and one of a kind gifts
In the theatre district:
- Moroccan Treasures - beautiful pottery and lamps
- Children's Museum of Tacoma gift shop - high-quality simple toys
- Sanford and Son - a little bit of everything. A destination in itself.
- Senior Craft Store - hand made gifts, proceeds go back to the seniors who made them.
- The What? Shoppe - fabulous randomness.
- My Petite Pea - toys and clothes for babys and kids
- Ranko's Pharmacy - a nice selection of gifts and cosmetics
- King's Bookstore - books! New and used, and just different.
- Freighthouse - Movies and games at E.G. Pawn, shiny rocks (great for stockings) and candles at Crescent Moon, candy from A British Affair
- Tacoma Book Center - if they don't have it hear used, they might not have it anywhere. High-quality children's books at far less than big box stores.
- Crystal Voyage - for all your metaphysical supply needs. Also candles, incense, and other good-smelling items.
- The Brown and Haley Store - for about $5 you can buy more candy than anyone really ought to eat in a five year period.
- Funkoma Vintage - funky Tacoma Vintage
- Dragonfly - accessories, furniture and gifts, with style.
There 's no reason to go to the mall! Have a Merry Christmas, or at least, a very happy December sale season!
1115 A St